Friday, July 3, 2009

Messages from the Youth

Hello, church family! Thought you'd like to hear from the youth, so I asked them to write a little something. Here it is:

Hey Everyone!

I’m so excited to be coming home, but very sad to be leaving :[ While in Ghana, I’ve learned to be content in my life at home. I never truly realized how much we cherish material things as Americans until I saw how the people live here. They cycle through 2 or 3 out fits total, when I use that many, in one day. I’m glad I came on this trip and look forward to seeing you soon.

- Anna

Hello everyone!

The Lord is working in so many ways here. We just finished camp today which has been going on since Tuesday. Many great relationships were made and God helped us with the language barrier. I had many teaching opportunities and led the music in almost every session. The week before I taught many times at HBC (VBS) and led the music then as well. God has helped me so much with the cultural differences of which I have some knowledge from NYC. The Matthews have been amazing to us. We are constantly in their house and they are extremely patient and hospitable. The Lord has been working in my heart and giving me a constant love for the Ghanaians. I love all of you and can feel your prayers. The cultural inconveniences fade away when one Ghanaian grows in Christ or understands and practices a core Christian principle. I love you all and miss you all.

Sincerely,

Michael J. Hammons

My time here in Africa has been long and tiring but there are still some redeemable qualities about our time on this trip. God has really used this trip to work not only in the hearts of the people we ministered to here, but also in mine as well. I have had many opportunities not only to share and teach the gospel to the people here, but also to experience his love firsthand. God has worked really well in the hearts of the people involved in this trip. I am very thankful for all your support and prayers.

Daniel DMac McDonald

God has truly been working in my life during this trip. He has impressed upon me the importance of memorization and meditation on His word. If you carry His word with you in your heart, it will help you in the times you need it the most. Many of the children here do not own a bible or cannot read, but they have learned that they can carry God’s word with them wherever they go.

This morning, (July 2), was the last day of youth camp. We had a session where people shared things that God had been doing in their life during the camp. It was so awesome to see so many of the Youth of Hasu Baptist Church stand up and give their testimonies. So many of them have learned new things this week that I hope they never forget. I pray that our Youth group is forever changed by this experience and all that God has taught them this week.

I have made friends here that I will never forget. So many of the girls here are so willing to help out and show much eagerness to learn about God’s word. Despite the language barrier at times, a simple smile can show that you like someone and are their friend. I will miss many of them, especially a girl name Kafui. She has worked with the Mathews to help prepare meals while we have been here. She shows a true desire to know God and to live for Him alone. During our group discussions with Ms. Amber, She is constantly asking questions and paying close attention. She has been a huge encouragement to me. I will miss her a great deal.

Towards the beginning of the trip, I struggled adjusting to the change of environment. There were so many times when I just wanted to cry and feel sorry for myself. But God is able to do anything, and He has given me the strength to overcome the things which are hard for me.

We still have a couple days left and I want to make the best of it. I can’t wait to come home and see family and friends!

-Cassie

Hello folks of the blogging society of the United States, this is Jonathan Winkert giving his first and final update of the venture to Ghana. As Jonathan was wrestling Daniel, they became quite filthy. Jonathan has enjoyed the wonderful food he has consumed while his stay in Ghana has carried on. Jonathan’s new friends Frank and Faruc are a lot better at soccer (football as the people here call it) than he is. Jonathan has greatly appreciated Christopher’s Indian accent and his quotes of the day. David, if you are reading this don’t forget to brush your teeth and make your bed because Jonathan would not be happy. Jonathan has spoken.

This is Ambri, speaking, well writing, I suppose. It has been a very eventful 1 ½ weeks. It was most definitely busy. We have done an HBC, which was very interesting. I got to teach one of the lessons with help from Mr. Bice and Jonny. It was the first true VBS that I have been in involved in. Last Sunday, I shared my testimony in front of the entire HASU church, whose children attendance tripled or so that Sunday due to HBC. I am terrified of public speaking but I could not really say no to Pastor George so I sucked it up and spoke. Hopefully, it impacted them positively. The Mathews’ said that it helped because the HASU kids may believe that America does not have problems. I apparently helped pull down that belief by showing that America has problems and some of those problems are very similar to Ghanaian problems. All I know is that I was relieved when I finished and everybody’s eyes went back to Pastor George.

This week, we have been participating in the ‘Standing In the Gap’ Camp for youth. I stayed the first two nights of the camp at the church with the HASU kids. The girls had a separate room. Unlike most American girls, they will go to sleep when the leaders say ‘lights out’. The third night I spent back at the Mathews’ as I was sick. I have been resting now that camp is over and feel much better.

Ambri


Dear GBC,

Ghana is so amazing and beautiful there are so many different things that I miss though. I think I miss Chipotle the most out of everything other then people… if you know what I mean. Everybody is having such a good time. The first week went very well. HBC was really nice too (the days that ii attended). Most of the week was spent in bed. I got sick so I had to stay home for about 2 days. I eventually got better. This week at church was very different though because we were required to come very early and stay very late. Yesterday I came at 7:00 AM and left at 10:50 PM because it was the last full day of camp. Every other day I did not have to wake up or stay up as late. We want to think that we are in our home stretch now because the rest of the time we are here it is very very easy. I think this trip has made me appreciate the essentials in life such as the dishwasher and washing machine… I miss them…I miss you all.

Love, Elizabeth

Dear people of the BLOG,

Everybody is too serious so I’m here to make this fun. I have many names here; they are Chris Chris, Christopher Colombo, .Christopher kpakpa (Bach-pa/Duck), Fuzz, Gandhi, Fer. As you can tell the people love me here so I will never come back…Ha Ha Ha. The one thing I think is very funny was in Jonnie’s journal - he said “Thursday We Ate FuFu.” That is all he wrote that day. Bye bye!

-Christopher

9 comments:

  1. sooo good to hear from everyone! especially Michael! Love you all and thanking GOD for what He is doing in and through YOU for His glory! we carry you in our hearts, priscilla
    2 COr 3:5

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!
    Thanks for the update. It will be great to pick you up on Thusday. Everyone needs to know Jesus! ysp

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Michael, i have a message for you son- it is found in 3 John 2-4- just cant wait to see you Baggy buddy.

    it will be great to have you all back- our vbs starts very soon - and we need helpers and workers- sounds like u all know what to do- so we are signing you all up!

    ms. Holly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mean Tuesday! Thusday is a cross between Tuesday and Thursday.
    ysp

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear that everyone has (mostly) recovered from illness. Make sure you bring Christopher home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to hear the testimonies through the teens eyes..I do wonder how Stephanie is doing too:-) Sure she is a ray of sunshine, and blessing to all. I love you guys, funny and insightful messages- great touch! Thanks!
    He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it.
    And it only takes a spark to get a fire going, bring that fire back to the states folks!
    Mikey hug hug and kiss kiss I love you brother! Love you all!!
    Love and many prayers
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jonnie and Cassie,
    Haha don't worry Jonnie I will make my bed and brush my teeth... Mom,Dad, and I just got back from our camping trip. Can't wait to see you...Love you

    Love your brother,
    David Winkert

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cass and Jon, as much as I miss you guys, I am so thankful for what God has taught you through this trip and how you will learn and grow from it as I know you have made a difference.....waiting for Tuesday.

    I miss all of you guys and are so proud to read what each of you have written from your own perpective. I am so excited and can't wait until Tuesday......Tell the Mathews I said hello and hope to see them here in the near future. ♥ ya guys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. By the way, that last comment that says that David said... that was actually mom

    ReplyDelete