Saturday, July 11, 2009

Pictures from Life in the Village

Here are some more pictures from life in the village.






The climb and the view from atop Adaklu Mountain.

This is a termite mound. You see these all along the roadside. I wish you could get an idea for just how big it is - They stand much taller than a man, and as you can see, this one is very wide. Kurt says that if you were to run into it with a vehicle, you would probably total the car!
The following are pictures from around the village of Helekpe, just to show you the homes that they live in.
















Some of the GBC group posing on the main road in front of Adaklu Mountain.



This is one of my favorite moments - Jim became good friends with this little boy, Brite. I couldn't find Jim one night anywhere. Then, Christopher came up to me and asked if he could use my camera because he had found Mr. Bice. Jim had gone outside to read and this little boy came up to him and they began drawing pictures together in the ground - it was a fun game for Brite. After this, Brite came around often and followed Jim around, and always helped him to carry something.





This is Kafui in her kitchen. She invited us all down to her home for lunch and she cooked banku and ground nut soup for us. It was a tremendous effort on her part, and we were humbled by all her hard work to serve us. It also made me very thankful for the kitchen that I have here at home.



This is Sister Bertha (pronounced Beta), Kafui's mother. She is stirring the banku over an outdoor clay stove.





This is the store in Helekpe, right on the corner of the main road.




This man is weaving Kenti, the traditional Ghanaian strips of cloth. This was a fascinating process to watch - I could have stayed for hours watching him weave.




These last two pictures are from market in Ho. I am posing with two ladies at one of the fabric stands, where I purchased MUCH fabric!!!


















No comments:

Post a Comment